Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Damn it! Suspension ear broken, Finally making progress. New ear installed
JRust
post Sep 17 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #41

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'll put a wire brush attatchment on my grinder tommorwo to see how large the piece is. Just hoping someone would chime in with the info
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Sep 18 2009, 06:32 AM
Post #42

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

The inner and outer suspension points are connected after they are put on using
a plate of 14 guage overlapping and bent over both. Around the middle pages
of my 73 restoration I have pictures of how I put my console on and put on
the overlapping reinforcement. I just made one out of scrap metal and welded
and bent it progressively over the parts.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...tion&st=100

John
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Sep 18 2009, 07:55 AM
Post #43

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

"Project 6" did a recent complete suspension console replacement. He did some pics and has some input.

+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 18 2009, 11:14 AM
Post #44

914 Guru

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Sep 18 2009, 05:32 AM) *

The inner and outer suspension points are connected after they are put on using
a plate of 14 guage overlapping and bent over both. Around the middle pages
of my 73 restoration I have pictures of how I put my console on and put on
the overlapping reinforcement. I just made one out of scrap metal and welded
and bent it progressively over the parts.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...tion&st=100

John

That is perfect thanks for the link & explanation. I figured it was just a plate but didn't want to take the chance of screwing up another part. It would have been obvious had I got all the undercoating off before asking. Was just limited in my time in the garage last night. I'll get it all cleaned up tonight. Welding in the new ear tommorow with some help from EyeTrip from the world. I also have CFR's reinforcement piece to weld on both ears. I didn't get the brace but do plan to do that eventually too. I'll post some more pics as I go. Going to document each piece & make a consise tech article on it. That way it will be a brief & not involve someone going thru a whole thread. Just to find the info they want on replacement. How well it turns out remains to be seen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
JazonJJordan
post Sep 18 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 10,446
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 16 2009, 12:43 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 15 2009, 09:33 PM) *

Tremendously worthwhile project. We make that part of course and have many in stock

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 23 2011, 09:57 PM
Post #46

914 Guru

Okay so fast forward a year & a half. I am now getting to my suspension ear again. Spent some time grinding off the reinforcement plate under the suspension ear off. What a PITA! I stopped after getting a little overagressive & going through my frame. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . Not alot but I couldn't see for (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) with all the sparks & I was frustrated it was going so slow. So I bailed last night pissed off for being an idiot (not a first (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) ). I will be working on it more this weekend. A friend was going to come down tommorow night to weld the new one in. I had to put it off until next week to be sure I would be ready.

Some of the suspension ear welds I can't get to with the grinder either? Guess maybe a dremel with the right tip. I will drill out the rest of the pinch welds up top this weekend. Then I'll tackle the underside with the top done. Should be a little easier doing the bottom with the top off & out of the way. Grinding effectively is an art I need to get much better at though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif) (I thought my head might last night)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 23 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #47

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You should have driven 9 hours to McMarks back in 2009. I woulda been done a couple years ago! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Mar 24 2011, 07:52 AM
Post #48

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

sarch my screen name. I have posted a few replacements (I hope it was not on 914club)
these things rust inside, get weak then break. brace it up only if you track it with fat sticky tires. HP has nothing to do with it. grip is what determines this.
add spot welds to the inside seams
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Mar 24 2011, 07:53 AM
Post #49

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

I attach the replacement with screws, then do a mock-assembly to check toe adjustment
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 24 2011, 10:01 AM
Post #50

914 Guru

QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Mar 24 2011, 06:53 AM) *

I attach the replacement with screws, then do a mock-assembly to check toe adjustment

I was planning on doing that to make sure everything is in the right spot. I sure as hell don't want to do this twice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . It's about time I get to it. I've let to many projects leap frog this one. Pretty pitiful as none of them are working yet. I could have fixed this a year ago & been driving this 914 again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . I guess better late than never. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 1 2011, 11:20 PM
Post #51

914 Guru

Made some progress tonight. I got the upper half of the suspension ear off. I'll be finishing up the bottom half tommorow. Damn it took a while to do the top. I've got quite a bit of the bottom allready. Getting a little better feel for my grinder now. My battery tray had some rust on it & I cut it off. There is some on the wall there also. The hell hole is solid but I have some surface in that hole area I need to clean up. I still need to get off the small section of battery tray attatched to the side. I'll get that off tomorrow too. Then clean up, prime & paint the area. Well not paint yet. I need to get my new ear welded on first.

Overall I had a much better night working on it that the last time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Apr 2 2011, 08:53 AM
Post #52

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 1 2011, 10:20 PM) *

Made some progress tonight.

Jamie,
This is good news. I just don't know how you can go between 3 projects, financially or energy. Although, I do have project envy thinking about all of them. I'm especially fascinated with the suby conversion...I guess because its so different. Hopefully my job will give me some freedom this Summer. If I get to go to the WCR, it would be nice to come early by your place and give you a hand if you want on whatever project you need help with.

I would like to see you get your LE on the road, or your V8. Not having a teener to drive would totally suck. In a perfect world, at least for me, I would like to have a fun teener to drive daily and a project in the garage that I can take my time with.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Apr 2 2011, 01:18 PM
Post #53

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

It's kinda late now but.....it's better to fix it before it breaks.....easier too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If one side goes, the other is probably close behind, me thinks.
There are a few things can do that (I believe) help "things" along without turning it into a major project. Seam welding everything in the area ....both sides, including the pinch seam around the perimeter of the ear itself. I did that long ago and it never broke.....but it didn't have my total trust.

So, I made a major project of it.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The "since I'm here" scenario can be a good thing.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 16 2011, 10:55 PM
Post #54

914 Guru

Made great progress today! Ian came down to weld my new ear in place. I needed to clean the metal up more in prep. Then did alot of measuring to make sure we got it set in place. Always nice having another 914 there handy to measure off of. Anyway the new ear is in & nice & solid. I can't wait to get my v8 off the stand & get a tranny bolted up. Although with the clinic coming in a few week probably not much point to that. I do need to finish cleaning the battery tray area. It was rusted but the hell hole is in good shape. Still there is some on the wall I need to clean up. So I'll spend some time in there with a wire wheel. Then repaint it before the motor get's back in place.

Huge thanks to Ian for coming down & (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) for me. Don't worry I will be hooking you up with plenty of parts during your build (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
IM101
post Apr 16 2011, 11:58 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 12,367

Wow that is a nice angle on the photo, that picture was taken right as i was about to attack and bite Jamie thus enabling me to control him with my vampire powers and make him give me parts from his stash, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) evidence:
I will be hooking you up with plenty of parts during your build (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

but in all seriousness no problem man it was great fun hanging and working on a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) and I'm looking forward to helping you get your flock ready for the wcr!!
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Apr 17 2011, 12:10 AM
Post #56

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 17 2011, 09:11 AM
Post #57

914 Guru

QUOTE(IM101 @ Apr 16 2011, 10:58 PM) *

Wow that is a nice angle on the photo, that picture was taken right as i was about to attack and bite Jamie thus enabling me to control him with my vampire powers and make him give me parts from his stash, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) evidence:
I will be hooking you up with plenty of parts during your build (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

but in all seriousness no problem man it was great fun hanging and working on a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) and I'm looking forward to helping you get your flock ready for the wcr!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) You funny man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) .

I have to admit I woke up more excited than I was last night. Just thinking baout getting that puppy back on the road. I may just start getting all the pieces out today. Well I need to clean up the battery tray area first. So I'll tear into that this afternoon. Yeah progress (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) .

Not to mention I have my glass flares to install on this car. I think for my first try I am just going to use rivets. If I like it & plan to keep the glass flares. I'll get the dzus fasteners for it.
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Apr 17 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #58

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 18 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #59

914 Guru

I went out tonight & got the rest of the old battery tray out. Cleaned up the whole area of surface rust. Primed it all & emailed restoration design. I need a new battery tray & support. I'm hoping they can get it out quick so I can get it this weekend.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Apr 18 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 12,367

QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 18 2011, 09:42 PM) *

I went out tonight & got the rest of the old battery tray out. Cleaned up the whole area of surface rust. Primed it all & emailed restoration design. I need a new battery tray & support. I'm hoping they can get it out quick so I can get it this weekend.

sounds like i will have a couple welding jobs to do when im down next, while I'm at it hit me with a measurement from the firewall to the ear and i can bring some tubing and plates to do some cfr style supports. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 10:26 PM